Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand



Picture

3.5 out of 5 stars

It took me an awfully long time to finish this book. Not because it was slow or anything. In fact, it was quite the opposite. It was a fast-paced, page-turning read that I enjoyed. The story was pretty good, the characters were likable, and the writing was better than decent. What more could you ask for?

THE GOODS: 1) The first time I saw this book on B&N online, I downloaded the sample, I read it and was immediately hooked. This isn't some book the author started and just patched up nonsense as she went along. This was a well thought out book. 2) Clara, the protagonist, and heroine of the story is a sensible girl. She knew she needed to complete her purpose, she didn't whine (much) about leaving her home and friends in California, just mentioned that she would miss her Californian life-as one normally would if they were to suddenly leave their home- and moved on. Also, when she first met Christian she wasn't totally obsessed with him (she fainted, but that for good reason, I think) she wanted to get to know him more solely for the sake of her purpose and not a hormonal teenage girl trying to get with a good-looking boy. She wasn't completely smitten by him, which was good. She's funny and witty, and always seems to know exactly what to say at the right times.

THE BADS: 1) I didn't completely understand what happened in the end. When I finished the book (I have the Nook book), I thought I was cheated or something, my first thought was "This is it?" I know there's a second and third book, but somehow, it didn't feel enough, even for a first book. 2) If Angela figured out that Clara was an angel-blood, shouldn't Christian how figured it out as well? Huh, maybe he's not as smart as they come. (This isn't a complaint on the author's account, just an observation.)

Anyway, I'll definitely finish the series. I just hope they're better than this one. Don't get me wrong, it was good. It's just...missing something. I don't know exactly what though.

Comments

back to top