The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines #6) by Richelle Mead




My thoughts as expressed by Bilbo Baggins

4.0 out of 5 stars

So. Well, that's a page in my life that's over and done with, literally. Can I first just say that These last books were not how I expected them to be. Usually, I'm fairly good at somewhat anticipating what will happen in finales. Not this one, apparently. Now, where do I begin? How about the very beginning? When we found out Jill was kidnapped? I think that was at the end of Silver Shadows. This was bound to happen from the beginning, I think.

The entire reason these people (Sydney, Adrian, Eddie, etc) - who didn't even know each other- were brought together to protect Jill, the recently discovered sibling of the reigning monarch, Vasilisa Dragomir. If you've read any of Richelle Mead's books, then you know that this book wasn't going to end without incident. I mean, what did you expect?

I prepared myself for this. When I started this one, I had a positive outlook, but a cautioned one nonetheless. I knew that our characters had been through everything there was to go through so I thought, can we just give ourselves a break in this one, but no, of course not!


SPOILERSRichelle Mead laughed in my face and revealed that Dimitri and Adrian are related! Turns out, Adrian's Uncle Rand is Dimitri's long lost father (yes, the one he beat). It was all very interesting. Also, Olive, Nina's- the other spirit user- sister has been lost. 

In an attempt to stay out of the way of Lissa's guardians who are looking for Jill and also stay under the Alchemists's radar, Adrian and Sydney go searching for Olive after Adrian picks up her location in a joint dream with Nina (who's out of commission for using too much spirit in the dream). When they find her, she's not hurt like her sister thought she might be. Instead, she's pregnant! She's found in a dhampir commune, so naturally, my first thought was ohmygod did some Moroi jerk take advantage of her. That idea was shot down as soon as it was formed because Olive couldn't have been taken advantage of, she's a strong dhampir and could very well hold her own against a Moroi. But then she tells them that the baby is Neil's. *mindblown* EVERYTHING I KNOW TO BE TRUE IN LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE. WHICH MEANS THAT MY ENTIRE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE. WHAT IS HAPPENING?? 

So, apparently because Neil was infused with spirit, and Olive was restored after living as a Strigoi, they somehow conceived a child together, and now there is hope for Rose and Dimitri, who initially didn't and couldn't know they can have an offspring together. So the story ended with Sydney and Adrian raising Declan- Olive and Neil's baby- Neil said the child would be better off with having the world know he was a product of an atypical union, and now they pass him off as their own child, with only very few people knowing the truth. Sydney is a student at the local museum, she also works there. Adrian also got a job as preschool art teacher (it's kind of weird)

Overall, I am content with the ending, it was not what I expected it to be, but when is it ever?


Comments

back to top