Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1) by Richelle Mead




3.5 out 5 stars

Again, a review I wrote two years ago. My thoughts as expressed by Jessica Day

Okay, so I sort have conflicted feelings when it comes to rating and reviewing this book. I liked it, but I didn't love it. But then again I might have loved it, I think I did. I don't know, there are just so many flaws and so many great things about it. Both don't seem to outweigh each other, but at the same time, they do...But, enough with the confusion and frustration I'm causing because no one is obviously getting anywhere with me.

So I'll get straight to the point. Rose. Again, just like the book in its entirety, Rose has her flaws and her good qualities. She's totally badass, which can be defined in two ways. #1 She is a badass fighter and cares about her best friend Lissa so much, you can't feel anything but admiration towards her.

#2 The other part- which I can't decide whether I like or not- is the bold, flirty (super flirty, rather), and blunt part of her. I think most of the gasps that escaped me while reading this book weren't ones that were caused by a (SPOILERS AHEAD) dead animal found on Lissa's bed, or the revelation of Lissa being a healer, or even when Prince Victor Dashkov's guardians kidnapped her. No. When I gasped, it was either because of what Rose said or did. But I still enjoyed Rose's character immensely.

Another thing about the book is that I didn't really think that the kidnapping of Lissa by her uncle, Victor Dashkov's guardians just because he wanted to be healed, was much of a climax. I half-expected her be kidnapped by the Strigoi, taken to dark, gothic castle and lead to meet the all-powerful Strigoi leader or something like that. 

Oh! And Dimitri, I love Dimitri. What can I say, I tend to like dark and mysterious love interests. And he's Russian! Which isn't completely self-explanatory but what the heck.


All in all, I liked the book, I really did and have started the second one immediately after finishing it. I just hope it would be a bit...better?

Comments

back to top