Monthly Wrap-Up: October 2020



Honestly, I don't know why I bother titling these wrap-ups "monthly wraps", when I clearly don't post them consistently. When I don't wrap-up a month, more often than not, its because there isn't really much to wrap-up. But September and October have been relatively fruitful reading months this year, comparatively. I've FINALLY started reading Game of Thrones which I'd cast aside for the mountains of unread books in my library, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that- at least for the portion that I've read thus far- the first season of the TV show is a fairly faithful adaptation.  Last year, I made a commitment to broaden my reading horizon, as it were, and I have done just done that. Albeit, a little late in the year. The Human Condition by Hannah Arendt, is a relatively dense read, but an enlightening one: In her book, Arendt claims that there is a witnessed erosion of human agency and political freedom in modern society. She cites three events in human history which- in her opinion- ultimately brought about this change. The first of these events was, arguably rather unexpectedly,  humanity's successful attempt at a moon landing. The second The Human Condition is riddled with complex concepts whose origins can be found in Greco-Roman philosophy and difficult to detect distinctions (say that three times fast) between three terms that she puts forward for her readers to understand. They are work, labor, and action...but I've said too much already. I'll save the nitty gritty analysis for the review, which I don't see coming for a whiiile. 

 

I don't remember how I was reminded of this album, but in my middle and high school years, I was a bit of an alternative/punk rock junkie, and A Bad Girl in Harlem was one of my favorites. I've listened to it an embarrassing number of times over the last few weeks, but I'm not sick of it yet. This shit slaps.



A more appropriate question is, "What haven't I watched?" Jokes aside, I bought Penny Dreadful on iTunes late last year with the intention of watching it during Halloween season, but that didn't happen for some reason (why am I lying, I was afraid). But I needlessly forced myself to sit through it this, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Very well written, less reliant on the shock-factor and instead focused on exploring deep themes of religion and morality. The cast is phenomenal, Eva Green in particular gave a peerless performance. Her character, Vanessa Ives, was the perfect mix of emotionally tortured and (somehow) equally poised Victorian woman. 

Comments

back to top