If I Stay (If I Stay #1) by Gayle Forman


Synopsis:





















4 out of 5 stars

I don't know why I do this to myself. Whether it's a sad book or a final installment to a series, I'd say that the phrase "Weeping Willow" was originally made because of me. Honestly. This book didn't leave me feeling any different. At first, I will admit it was kind of slow and I wasn't so used to the whole first-person-present-narration thing. What I also wasn't used to was the main character and his/her love interest had already met, fallen in love, and are a couple. But I liked that. Mia and Adam are an odd pair because they're completely different characters, have completely different personalities. But at the same time, they're perfect for each other. They're one of those couples that you can't really imagine being with anyone but each other. It's beautiful.

I like Mia, she seems normal enough, not like those female characters that aren't very realistic or are super fake. The ones that are completely absorbed in their love interest. Like "Oh. When the shine of the sun reflects in his eyes, I melt." or "Oh. The way his muscles ripple makes me want to run my hands all over him because if I don't I just might die." And no, I'm not looking at Luce because her melodramatic self was understandable, not just because Daniel is, like, Daniel. But also because of her situation, a specific situation that I will not mention, or shouldn't be mentioning in the first place because this the If I Stay review and I shouldn't be discussing Fallen (what brought it up in the first place? Oh, right) Speaking of heavenly beauty. Something I also found absolutely beautiful is that Adam isn't described as someone Mia finds to be like, the hottest guy she has ever laid eyes on or something. He is good-looking yes, but not impossibly good-looking which I really admire.

I don't know how I feel about most of the book being about the past. About how Mia's Mom and Dad met, about the barbecue, how Mia watched as Mom was giving birth to Teddy. Hence the four stars. What I did like about it though was that despite how weird I thought the book was organized (I guess) I forgot about that when I got sucked into the story Mia was telling whether it was her and Adam's first date or her summer camp experience because I really liked them. Especially the one about Kim and Adam not clicking, how she always fought with Adam about it, how Kim would dismiss her argument and say that she (Kim) and Adam are already bonded because they both love Mia. I liked how it was connected to them working together in finding a way to get into the ICU, how- when they failed- Kim helped Adam out, how until then, Mia thought what Kim told her wasn't true.

I love Mia's family, her family's friends. They're all just so cool. It was sad to know that Mom, Dad, and Teddy died before I got to know them. It's all very tragic. I read the summary of Where She Went and saw that Adam and Mia are no longer together after three years after the accident. That saddened me because you'd think that after all that Mia's been through she'd need Adam both physically and emotionally, but hey, I guess that's not how it turns out. Yet another thing I admire. This book shows you that not every story has a happily ever after.

Comments

back to top