The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer #1) by Michelle Hodkin




Synopsis:


















3 out of 5 stars

The synopsis is vague and strangely misleading. I didn't know what was going on half of the time I was reading the book, but it sure as hell was much more than what synopsis lead me to believe. I was confused throughout most of the book, I didn't know what Mara was dealing with. I found myself questioning: Are they ghosts? Is she being haunted? Is she really crazy? Is this is not an epic fantasy? And to be completely honest, I still don't quite know what was going on.
The first hundred pages or so of the book were great. I liked Mara Dyer (is that even her name?) and enjoyed the easily witty, funny dialogue. Of course, I didn't know what was going on then either, but I thought that everything would eventually be explained to me, you know as they are in many other books. I don't know it is, but one of my favorite things about Mara's character was that she wasn't immediately smitten with her eventual love interest Noah Shaw. The British, mysterious, player who apparently gets good grades without effort (really, NO EFFORT AT ALL. He doesn't take anything but himself to class). He was kind of annoying at times actually.
I usually loathe it when people say something along the lines of "This book had so much potential" because how could anyone, but the author know how much potential it had to be better, when they weren't the ones that wrote it, maybe it is the way it is because the author meant for it to be that way. I can't believe I'm allowing myself to be hypocritical, even if temporarily, I kind of loathe myself for saying this but: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer had so much potential. It really did.
I really don't have much to say in this review because I'm writing this review days after I'd finished reading the book. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was okay, but I heard the sequels are better than this is so I'm definitely going to read them.

Comments

back to top