Books I'm Thankful For: Thanksgiving Edition



Yes, I realize Thanksgiving is long gone, but I'm doing this anyway. Thanksgiving is a controversial holiday, thousands of people-including my own family- refuse to celebrate the national holiday because we believe that would mean celebrating the genocide of countless Native Americans. But given that everybody's voicing their thanks, I thought I should do the same. Here are some books I'm thankful for: turkey edition ↓

1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

 http://67.media.tumblr.com/9233008e2b2801c68a913fca56c83e9b/tumblr_nlwqzkXFpR1tv8vcro2_1280.jpg 

First and foremost, I'm thankful for the copy of Little Women I have back home. Or rather, I'm thankful to my dad for picking this book up from a shelf at Barnes and Noble and suggesting I read it, claiming he had read the novel in college and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm thankful for this book particularly because it got me into the habit of reading. Little Women was the first book I enjoyed reading in my leisure time. FYI, I was, maybe, twelve years old when I read it for the first time.

2. The Merchant of Death (Pendragon #1) by D.J. MacHale

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51XhwoAZpDL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Merchant of Death was a book that got me into the genre of fantasy and the subject of cross-dimensional travel. I think I bought this book around the same time I did Little Women. I was so infatuated with this series, I recommended it to almost every reader I interacted with. Little did I know that Halla (the word in the books used to describe everything that exists) was only the tip of the iceberg. The Merchant of Death was also the first book I read from a male POV.

3. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare

256683 

 I'm thankful for City of Bones because I was taken up by the Shadowhunter world from the very first page (not really, maybe the seventh page?) This was the books that piqued my interest in YA fantasy. City of Bones is reason I've read my fair share of fantasy, Young Adult or otherwise.

4. Red Rising (Red Rising #1) by Pierce Brown

15839976

Ah, Red Rising. This book is a painful reminder not to judge books by their cover, I mean this in the best way possible. I won this book in a giveaway hosted by Goodreads, and received a copy whose cover wasn't particularly attractive (it was an advanced readers copy, not the cover above). I read the book in the span of a few hours!

5. Teardrop (Teardrop #1) by Lauren Kate

16070143 

This book served the purpose of another reminder: Just because you enjoyed an author's book or series, doesn't mean you'll enjoy any or all of his/her other works (and vice versa). In the case of Lauren Kate, whose Fallen series I absolutely love, but despised her most recent duology, Teardrop. It also taught me to read reviews, for which I paid no heed to before this book.

6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

http://www.trippingoverbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Pride-and-Prejudice_BN.jpg 

I'm so so thankful for Pride and Prejudice for getting me into classical literature. I was always curious of classics, but after Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, I didn't go out my way to pick up another. My opinion of Huckleberry Finn- if you haven't figured it out already- was unfavorable. It was dry and anticlimactic, but maybe all fourteen year-olds would respond the same way if asked. Anyway, I picked up this book up thinking I should give classics another chance, my motivation for reading Pride and Prejudice specifically, was that it's set in England (trust me, that was motivation enough). And boy, was I ultimately delighted with my decision. 

What books are you thankful for?

Comments

back to top