Monthly Wrap-up: September 2017



September wasn't a very busy month on the blog, but I was very busy with school stuff. And when I wasn't busy with school work, I didn't feel like doing much of anything but watch a whole lot of Gossip Girl. Grad school is tough, guys. Graduate students typically take only three or four courses per semester, with each course being three credits. If you're really ambitious, you take five courses, but that's unheard of. Especially for research-based programs considering you might have to write a thesis or dissertation (well, pre-doctoral students take all their course requirements the first two years and then start working on their dissertation research, but that's beside the point). What I have found is that I've devastatingly and simultaneously underestimated and overestimated grad school. On the one hand, you have a lot of free time, but you have to use that time to study the material. On the other hand, just when you think you have a concept or series of concepts down, it comes back to bite you in your proverbial butt.

Another thing that has fascinated me about grad school is just how broad a seemingly narrow topic can be. I learned that many of the topics I thought were briefly covered in a lecture in undergrad were mentioned for a moment because that's all they warranted. But as it turns out, they are studied extensively and are areas scholars and academics devote their lives to exploring. It's all very mind-blowing and is yet another reason why I love school and learning. I'm inspired!
Well, I haven't posted any reviews during the month of September, but I am currently reading a book that I'll probably finish in the next few days (hopefully) so I'll link that on here instead.

31951323




I realize that my taste in music isn't particularly exciting and you, my dear readers, don't wait on the edge of your seats for the "what i've been listening to" sections of the Monthly Wrap-ups, but I feel I should disclose it all the same. I've been listening to quite a lot of Handel lately and I especially love this playlist because while it may all sound the same to some people, Handel's music actually quite diverse and this playlist by Spotify accentuates all of his music. I love it!

Last month, a few of my virtual adventures had come to an end. Or at least, I can confidently say that about two of the three shows I finished watching in the last month. After a four-year-long run, Reign finally came to an end in June. I was a bit relieved when I finished watching the last episode because I felt like they'd exhausted and stretched the storyline and when was it ever going to be over if not then? But I was also very sad because I watched the show since the very beginning. In 2013, I was in high school! The second show finished watching is Downton Abbey. Granted, that show has been over since 2015, but I only started watching it a few months ago. I'll probably post a series review in a few weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for that! The third and final show that's over, at least for the year, is New Girl. I assume it's wrapped because I don't know what filming content they could possibly have considering all of the characters are married, getting married, or are in relationships with their true loves. I mean, I love New Girl, I really do. But what else could there be to go on?

Comments

back to top