Monthly Wrap-ups: June 2016



Tomorrow marks the last day of Ramadan this year. And for those who don't know, Ramadan is the month of year when Muslims give up food and drink from before sunrise until sunset. Not only that, but we stay away from other temptations as well. For example, married couples practice abstinence for the duration of the month. I, however, seeing as I'm not married didn't have to do such a thing. Instead, I stopped listening to music, even classical (well...for most of the month, at least). People claimed that Ramadan was going to be hard this year, particularly because of the summer, but I'm super thankful that that was not the case. In fact, I barely felt anything. I wasn't at all dehydrated, hungry, or feeling hot. Because Ramadan comes 11 days earlier than it does the previous year, unfortunately or fortunately (I still can't decide yet), we'll have another year Ramadan in the end or spring/beginning of summer. This unfortunate because God knows how hot it'll be next year, this year was a blessing. But it also may be fortunate because I'll be out of college for year (or I maybe even be done with undergrad, but we'll see how that goes).

On a less happy note, although we were in the holy month of Ramadan, this was a sad month. The shooting in Orlando, and the two suicide bombings in Turkey were definitely more than dampers to my mood. And, I heard about the two other suicide bombings in Medina (a city in Saudi Arabia), and the shootings in Baghdad. It's all very tragic. What has this world come to that people just kill each other, and give no thought to the fact that they're innocent men, women, and children. I was heartbroken all throughout the month. My heart goes out to all the families affected.


I'm so proud of myself for having read six books in the past month, and I reviewed them all. Well, with the exception of Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover for which I'll post the review for in the coming days. This particularly surprising to me because even though I have all the time in the world, I get unreasonably unmotivated in the summer, seems like this time is different.


Maybe Someday (Maybe #1) by Colleen Hoover

In addition to not listening to music, I also delayed watching any of my shows. So even though I had to catch up with Teen Wolf, Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Supernatural, The 100, Reign, etc. Even Game of Thrones, I missed the last four episodes, but I'll be caught up soon. All in good time. I heard the finale was smashing. I can't wait.

Comments

back to top