Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee



Synopsis:
2 out of 5 stars

This book had been on my to-read list since I joined Goodreads back in 2012 (this review was published December 2017) Right off the bat, I was dubious of the promise of love for Angelfall. The book is written in present-tense, which is very tricky to pull off and very rarely done right, at least in my experience. As you probably tell by my uncharacteristically low rating, I deem that the present-tense narration and dialogue to be poorly executed


The plot and characters didn't really make up for the atrocious writing. Penryn, the main character, was difficult to love. Her personality didn't stand out much and she didn't have many redeeming qualities. Her determination to rescue her sister from a couple of angel-warrior thugs was admirable, but the character overall, was not special in any way. There are a staggering number of positive reviews for this book on Goodreads, and while I obviously know that perspective vary, I was truly surprised by just how many people genuinely enjoyed the book. It's beyond me. The story had much potential, but because of the dismal character development, writing, and, frankly, substandard world-building━I didn't really like Angelfall and I'm sure I'll continue on with reading the rest of the series (is it a trilogy? I think it's a trilogy). 

Comments

back to top