Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices #3) by Cassandra Clare



Synopsis
3.5 out of 5 stars

Historically, I've rated all of the Cassandra Clare books I'd read quite high, an average of 4.5 stars, I believe. But I have now been out of the fan-bubble for long enough that I'll be able to be a little more critical of the Shadowhunter books. Well, Queen of Air and Darkness in particular. The first issue is a glaring one and part of the reason I've given the rating I have: the book is trying to do everything, all at once. Clare incorporates mystery, romance, action, and adventure into every one of the characters storylines (even the characters less significant to the plot). Don't get me wrong, I know quite a few authors who have proven able to pull that off, but the style that best suits her writing is a less crowded, more focused story.

I'm not sure I'll continue reading the Shadowhunter books as faithfully as I have for the past seven years, but I will occasionally dabble in the future. Queen of Air and Darkness was a fun read, especially the bonus Jace and Clary chapter after the epilogue. It was very nostalgic. But as I previously mentioned, the book as a whole was too hard to follow and enjoy.

Comments

back to top