10 Of My Favorite Books (Thus Far)



Although I often pride myself on reading books from a whole range of genres, my reading tendencies don't venture very far. If you take a look at the books I reviewed on the Reviews List page, you'll see that there are, in fact, a select few genres I stick to. One of my reading related resolutions for last year was to broaden my reading horizon, but I didn't really keep to the resolution. This year, however, I will muster the willpower to keep to said plan (even though we're already nearly halfway through the year) Anyway, here is a list of ten of my favorite books, in particular order:


This book is high up on my favorites list, easily one of the top three. Pride and Prejudice is my very first Jane Austen read and I have to admit that I haven't had the opportunity to read the rest of her known works yet, but I will very soon. I've been eying a beautiful Jane Austen stories collector's edition at my school's Barnes and Noble and you'll be right in assuming it won't be long before it's in my grasp.

Blood Promise is my favorite of the Vampire Academy books because 1) Rose follows (SPOILER ALERT) newly-turned Strigoi Dimitri to Russia for disclosure and with the hopes that she can bring him back to the Academy (I still don't understand why she thought that was a good idea and if she truly believed her efforts would be fruitful); 2) Strigoi come across as mindless creatures, their one and only goal being to feed, but we get the not-so-mindless perspective of Strigoi Dimitri and find that they, in fact, have other plans and goals and; 3) Rose's trip to Russia was quite fascinating.

The Pendragon series is one whose target audience is children and I really enjoyed the books when I first read them at the age of 10-12. The premise of the series is that a boy named Bobby Pendragon is left a ring by his late uncle that allows him to travel across time and space. He's a Traveler and that means that it is his duty to go the dimensions that are at a turning point and stop Saint Daine's (the antagonist) plans of destroying Halla (everything that exists). It's a really great story in which the protagonist sometimes fails in his quest to save a dimension. The Never War takes place on pre-World War II Earth and features a somewhat comfortable Bobby feeling more in his element because Earth is his home and having him realize that things are much more complicated than they may seem.

Good God, this book was quite the whirlwind. Funnily enough, I entered a giveaway for the first book of the trilogy Red Rising just for the heck of it and didn't really care whether or not I actually won the book. I did, took with me when I was road-tripping to Chicago with my family in 2015, and devoured it within a few hours. Golden Son played the stereotypical role of a second book in sci-fi trilogies in which the hero is taken down a peg or two by experiencing catastrophic defeat before swinging back at the enemy with all of his/her might, but this was exceptionally well-written and was a hell of an emotional rollercoaster.

I've stated this fact countless times on this blog, but I think it warrants repetition: Little Women was the book that got me into fervent reading. I might've been around eleven or twelve when my dad took us to our local B&N and recommended that I read Little Women, which I will be forever grateful for.

After making what had to be the stupidest decision of jumping into an Announcer in the history of fictional characters making stupid decisions, (this is worth noting because she often boasts about her high intellect and 4.0 GPA) Luce is thrust into the lives of her various incarnations and- by the end of the book- finds out the truth (for the most part) about the seemingly endless cycle of her reincarnation (the foundation of which, admittedly, isn't much of a foundation)

I feel ashamed in saying this, but I'd only just recently read Prisoner of Azkaban for the first time, and I've been a fraud Potterhead for more than three-quarters of my life (I'm twenty-one, you can do the math). With the exception of Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, I watched every Harry Potter film immediately after release, but for a reason beyond my comprehension, I never really got around to reading all of the books.

Initially, I added A Thousand Pieces of You to my to-read list because of the cross-dimensional travel aspect of the story and the beautiful cover, but I fell in love with the book because of a few scenes that took place in Tsar Russia.

Bloodlines is a spin-off of the Vampire Academy series that follows Sydney Sage, a minor, non-vampire character that was introduced in Blood Promise, I think. Her character was a nice contrast to Vampire Academy's female protagonist, Rose Hathaway. She's collected, by-the-book, and unsociable, The series also gave the author a chance to salvage Adrian Ivashkov's (a fan favorite) story after giving us an unsatisfying ending. It was also really interesting reading from an Alchemist's point of view.

Trunks is introduced in this issue. I don't think much more needs to be said.

Comments

back to top