Movie News: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald



Good day, everyone! It's been a good minute! I know the trailer has been out for quite a while now, but considering The Crimes of Grindelwald is my most anticipated film of the year, I thought I ought to document my reaction of the extended trailer on the blog. If you've been closely following the happenings on the blog, you might have noticed that when I write reactions, particularly to movie trailers, I don't nitpick every detail and theorize who will do what and this or that symbolizes. This is because when I watch movie trailers for the first time, especially ones that are book adaptations, I try to simply enjoy them and overanalyzing everything takes out the viewing pleasure. This is why I usually give watered-down accounts of my reactions and what I'll continue to do on today's post. I took the liberty of embedding the trailer below for those who haven't watched it.



My immediate reaction to the first 15+ seconds of the trailer was, "Yay, Hogwarts!". We didn't get to see the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the previous film, so I was ecstatic that we'll be getting at least two scenes at Hogwarts from what we've seen in the glimpses we got in the trailer. I have mixed feelings about a) a portrayal of young not-yet-appointed-as-headmaster Professor Albus Dumbledore and; b) Jude Law's portrayal of Dumbledore. Don't get me wrong, I really admire Law's work as an actor. In fact, he stars in two of my all-time favorite films (which, needless to say, are my favorites largely because of his roles in them).

Overall, I think I'm just apprehensive of his take (or anyone's for that matter) on young Dumbledore because I don't want his portrayal to potentially ruin one of my favorite characters. This fear was enforced after I watched the trailer and not because Law's performance was particularly bad, but because Dumbledore is a character we know and because his past was shrouded in mystery in the Harry Potter books and movies that I don't know what to expect personality-wise and whether or not I'll like what I will see. I'm excited to see what's in store for Jacob and Credence and I'm also looking forward to knowing what Grindelwald was like, how the Newt-Leta-Thesius relationship plays out, and getting either a confirmation or denial on whether the woman embracing Credence on the official movie poster will indeed become Voldemort's snake and (SPOILER ALERT) Horcrux, Nagini. I CAN'T WAIT!

Comments

back to top