2018 Book Haul #1!



This is my first ever book haul on the blog! I always watch book haul videos on Youtube created by avid book readers like myself, and find them very entertaining so considering I bought a good number of books this year thus far, I thought I'd write a book haul post showcasing the books I've purchased. This how it'll all go down: I'll list each book and disclose why and/or for how long I've wanted to buy it. I'll list the books in the order I plan on reading them in. Lastly, I will link the books to their listings on Book Depository! (I'll try to list the editions I myself have purchased)

1. Outlander (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon


I had wanted to read Outlander for the LONGEST time. I remember seeing a billboard advertising the then not-yet-aired Outlander television show and being very excited about it. Shortly thereafter, I found out that the show is an adaptation of a series of eight books and decided to put off watching it until I read the books. I actually finished reading this particular book a few days ago (I ate it up!). I gave it a 3.7-star rating. I had read a quarter of the book when I realized that it was not what I expected it to be. I have yet to review Outlander, but I will do so in a few days, so be on the lookout for it!

2. Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2) by Diana Gabaldon


I'm halfway through Dragonfly in Amber and I am LOVING it! All of the political intrigue and drama Outlander lacked, Dragon in Amber is simply filled with. At the very start, the reader is thrust into Claire's Randall/Fraser's (b. Beauchamp) world and is bombarded with...events that lead the reader to ask questions about said events as well as their very own existence. 

3-6. Voyager, Drums in Amber, The Fiery Cross, & A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander 3-6) by Diana Gabaldon

I combined these four together because I intend to read them in consequence and have nothing much else to say about them. I'm very excited to see what's in store for me!

7. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy


I've been meaning to read War and Peace for a good while now, along with Anna Karenina. I live for stories about aristocratic Tsar-ian Russia and am very much looking forward to reading this. It's worth noting that I once started reading Anna Karenina (after I watched the 2012 film adaptation) but was forced to temporarily put it down because of schoolwork (it was a borrowed library book). I don't think I got very far, I might have read a mere twenty percent of the book. I've heard that War and Peace is a very dense book and have strategically placed it after the Outlander books and before a less heavy book for the sake of balance. I'm very excited to read it!

8. Jane Austen: Seven Novels (Barnes and Noble Omnibus Leatherbound Edition)


Ah! I FINALLY HAVE POSSESSION OF THIS BEAUTIFUL BOOK! Out of all of the books mentioned in this haul, my beloved leatherbound Seven Novels was the one I was most excited for. Let me explain: After I read Pride and Prejudice a few years ago (my first Jane Austen read, I might add) I was reading the synopses of multiple Jane Austen novels on the Barnes and Nobles website when I happened to stumble upon this beauty! I was a broke high school student so I could not immediately purchase it and it wasn't high enough on my priority list to warrant asking my dad to buy it for me, so I forgot about it for a time. Fast-forward to a few weeks ago when I found it in my university B&N bookstore. I saw it, squealed, realized I didn't have any money on me and swore that I would go back to buy it as soon as I got the chance. And I did! You might understand my obsession if see the physical book in person. It's quite heavy, but I plan to take with me on every long-distance trip I make.

9-10. The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien


I combined these two because 1) I've watched all of the films on which both books are based and; 2) I had both in my Kindle library at one point, when I was subscribed to Kindle Unlimited. I was debating with myself on whether I should place these subsequent to War and Peace, before Pride and Prejudice, and haven't quite decided if I'm going to read them after War and Peace rather than before P&P, so items 8 and 9-10 are interchangeable, reading-wise. I also started reading The Fellowship of the Ring about a month ago, when I had it in my Kindle library, but never finished reading it.

11. The Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien


Admittedly, I didn't know The Silmarillion even existed until a few weeks ago. I was watching one of Tim Hickson's LOTR related videos on his channel Hello Future Me (check it out, he makes great, well-thought-out content!) when I discovered it through one of his references in the video. He hailed it as his favorite Tolkien book, so I was determined to read it myself. The Silmarillion isn't a story much like The Lord of Rings or The Hobbit. It's one that reveals the events that lead up to the creation of Middle Earth and the beginnings of the Tolkien world as we know it. It's more a history book than anything else, from what I've gathered. I know I've said the following about most of the books on this list, but I simply cannot wait to read it!

I wanted Tolkien's Unfinished Tales to be on this list, but I decided I'll just order it after I've finished all or most the books presiding on this list. 

Comments

back to top