Outlander (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon



Synopsis

3.7 out of 5 stars

Outlander is not what I expected it to be. Now before the lot of you that have actually read and really loved Outlander come after me with pitchforks and proclaim me a witch, hear me out. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I felt like there just so much going on theme-wise and plot-wise. In addition to the time-travel concept in the book, there was also a brief witch trial, which I didn't think made all that much given the grand scheme of things. Every time something big was happening I thought, "Wow, this must be the climax/pivotal point of the story!", when it usually wasn't. I think that's what bothered me so much about the witch trial scene, for the most part. There were too many problems to be solved: there was the mystery of Claire's time-travel, Jamie's issue with Jonathan Randall. and then the witch trial thrown in somewhere in the middle of the storyline.


Another thing I didn't expect was the plethora of sex scenes in Outlander. I mean, I knew Claire was going to marry Jamie even before I started reading the book and that there would inevitably be a scene or two of that nature, but boy was I wrong. I felt like I was met with one every few pages, I got a little bothersome at some point. If I wanted to be bombarded with such scenes I would have simply reread The Bride by Julie Garwood. One of my favorite things about this book is the writing. Diana Gabaldon has to be one of the best writers and storytellers I have come across in all of my years of reading. I distinctly remember thinking that while the rest of the world population suffers from inarticulation on occasion, Diana Gabaldon must not, ever. I honestly cannot compliment her writing enough! Despite the neutral rating, I truly believe I will enjoy the rest of the series more than I did Outlander. As I write this, (not simultaneously, but you know) I'm currently reading Dragonfly in Amber, the second book in the series and I am enjoying it much more! I'm loving it! FYI: I bought books 3-6 in advance 😁

Comments

back to top