TV Shows: "Shadowhunters" Post #1

Picture

For those of you who don't know, the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare has been adapted into a television series. The first book, City of Bones, was made into a movie in 2012. The movie- directed by Harald Zwart-starred Lily Collins (Clary), Jamie Campbell Bower (Jace), Kevin Zeegers (Alec), and Lena Heady (Jocelyn). The movie was didn't do all that well, financially and it didn't sit well with the Shadowhunter fandom. Personally, when I watched the movie (the weekend it came out), I didn't enjoy it. In fact, at the time I hated it. I felt like it was rushed, the scenes were all wrong, the actors that are British spoke in their British tongue, and those who were American also spoke in a British accent. It was crazy, and it drove me crazy. But after some time, I started to understand (or rather, it was explained to me) that it was movie, and it can't be perfect, it certainly could've been better but still.

When I first heard there was going to be a TV show based on the Mortal Instruments series, I was conflicted. By then, I knew from experience that it was best not to get excited for something that could potentially be a major disappointment. I thought, " Maybe, if I don't expect so much, it'll be okay". But boy, I was even more confused and conflicted and angry, mostly angry. Turns out, even with low expectations you could be disappointed. First, I was angry over the cast. Oh, the cast. Who the hell casts these projects. First off, Clary is not supposed to be this super-hot chick. Luke is not supposed to be black (and a detective, apparently) and Camille doesn't have black or brown hair. Which reminds me, why is Valentine bald? Don't get me wrong, I love Alan van Sprang, he was awesome in the first season of Reign, but why? I hate it when people say that we (the fandom) overreact when an actor or actress' features don't match that of the character their going to play. It's like, shut up! You're making this movie or TV show for us (the fandom) based on a boo or series we love, so you should make it right! If this isn't you're thing, and this and you don't want to deal with the fans, then don' t bother! Honestly, it pisses me off!..Sorry, this is becoming a rant more than anything else.

Anyway, in the past few weeks a few "sneak peaks" of the show and cast interviews have been released. And after watching each one (not all, but close enough), I grew angrier and more exasperated as went on. Angry because, ugh, a lot of stuff just isn't right And exasperated because I give up. I'm done hoping and praying. Here are some of the "sneak peaks" that have come out so far:




I have a whole lot to say about all of them, but I'm just going to say a few things, keep it short (like Izzy's dress, except Izzy's dress is supposed to be long and cover her runes. Where are her runes by the way?) Who is that girl with Clary and Simon when they go into the Pandemonium? Initially, I thought it was Maia just being introduced earlier than she had been in the book series, but then I remembered that she's a werewolf and has the Sight, she would've seen Jace. Magnus (whom I love in books and in the show) doesn't own the Pandemonium  in the books, why does he in the show? I'm both interested and weirded out by this. What about the two shady dudes (pun intended) that recognize a Jocelyn in Clary? Apparently, they're "former" Circle members. Why were they in the club? Is anyone else thinking about and analyzing this stuff like I am? Or am I the only one?

If you agree or diagree with me, or have anything to add, comment down below. I'll be posting updates about the show as we wait for it to air. Also, ABC Family is going to air some bonus content from the show in December. 

Comments

back to top